Our sense of smell, or olfaction, is considered by some to be the most powerful of our senses. It can whet our appetite or warn us of danger. Aromas can also be very powerful memory evokers.
For centuries, fragrance has been used for both physical and psychological healing and wellness. Learning how to use essential oils properly, their many benefits, and the safety and risks involved are all important things to take into consideration if you want to use oils in your daily routine.
Essential Oil Uses
You have probably heard of the Hippocratic Oath that is taken by physicians, but did you know that Hippocrates, the healer for which the oath is named, used massage and aromatherapy, including essential oils, in his practices?
Every person is different, so what works for some may not work for others, but essential oils have a vastly successful health improvement record including:
- Relieving pain
- Reducing cramping (muscles/menstrual)
- Easing respiratory issues
- Improving skin health
- Reducing congestion
- Improving sleep patterns
- Calming emotions
- Relieving headaches
- Reducing stress and anxiety
- Boosting the immune system
- Fighting bacteria and viruses
- Improving digestion
How to Use Essential Oils
Another benefit of essential oils is that they can be dispersed or administered in several different ways, providing more healing versatility. Using a couple of drops at full strength or diluted with a carrier oil, essential oils can be used through:
- Steam inhalation/humidifier
- Aromatherapy massage
- Added to bath water, lotions, shampoo, and other skincare products
- Inhaled from a bottle or a couple drops on a cotton ball
- Drops placed on linens and pillows
To keep your essential oil use as pure as possible, some good carrier oils to use include:
- Fractionated coconut
Remember, your success will be dictated by the purity of both your essential oils and your carrier oils, so always go with reputable and conscientious producers like XinerQi.
The Safety of Essential Oils
If grown, harvested, processed correctly, and used appropriately , essential oils can do amazing things for the mind and body. However, you should always do a test patch when using a new oil to make sure you have no allergies. You can easily do this by:
- Mixing a small amount of essential and carrier oils using twice the percentage of essential oil you will normally use.
- Apply it to a small patch on your inner forearm.
- Cover with a bandage and leave it for 48 hours.
- After the 2 days have passed, remove the bandage and look for any rash or redness or bumps.
The Risks of Essential Oils
You should always take caution when using essential oils. Some of the citrus oils like lemon, orange, and grapefruit can be photosensitive, making you more susceptible to sun exposure. If you have respiratory issues like asthma, strong fragrance can effectuate an asthma attack.
We always advise to consult with an aromatherapist or a licensed practitioner when using essential oils with children or if your are breast feeding due to potential interactions or changes in ratios.
Share in the XinerQi Guarantee
When you shop through the most trusted essential oil company, XinerQi guarantees that our products are:
- Native region sourced
- Sustainably sourced
- Following fair pricing and wages
- Packaged in UV protecting bottles
Please browse our online store and start reaping the benefits of essential oil use.